Chapter One

God, it’s hot. It’s got to be close to ninety degrees. I’ve got sweat literally pouring down my back. Ugh.

Let me introduce myself. Hi. I’m Sieta. I’ve been in the US for a couple of years now, and I love it. I came here to go to graduate school, and I have about a year to go before I’m done. To help get me through school, I’m driving a cab. I know, I know, a woman driving a cab. It’s not a usual occupation for a college girl, but frankly, if I had to be a waitress or a bartender, I’d kill someone.

See, I have attitude. Not bad attitude, mind you, but it’s definitely more New York City Cabbie than Posh Uptown Barmaid. So, armed with the knowledge that NYC is laid out like a grid, and having walked nearly every block in this city, I thought I’d be good at driving a cab. Yeah, I am.

Ordinarily, I love my job. It’s a great way to get to know the city, I meet tons of interesting people, and above all, I love to drive. Usually.

Today, the air conditioning in the cab is dead, there is NO breeze to speak of, and it’s so frigging hot I can hardly stand it. One more fare, and I’m done. One more.....there. Outside that restaurant is someone hailing a cab. I didn’t bother to check my mirrors, just aimed for the curb. It’s every girl for herself out here. I leaned over to call out the window, “Where ya headed?”

“Long Island,” an aged whiskey voice answered. He was wearing a ball cap pulled low over his forehead and he had on dark sunglasses. His voice was annoyingly familiar, and I wondered where the hell I heard that voice before. Shit. That was going to bother me. I am usually very good with faces and voices.

“I don’t have AC,” I warned him. It was going to be a long frigging trip to Long Island.

“S’alright,” he drawled. “I don’t mind a little heat.”

I rolled my eyes at his obvious double-entendre. “Alright, climb on in.” I unlocked the doors and he got in, and I pulled out into traffic. “So,” I said to him. “You a talker or do you prefer quiet?” I started the meter, settled into my seat, and aimed for the L-I-E.

A deep chuckle came from the backseat. “I don’t mind a little chit-chat,” he said. “What do you want to talk about?” He took off his sunglasses and hat, and I got a good look of his face in the rearview mirror, and recognized him instantly. NOW I know where I know that voice from. My dreams.

“Oh, fuck me,” I said under my breath, but not softly enough.

Jon laughed. “Well now, darlin’, that is definitely an interesting topic for conversation. Where should we start?” He laced his fingers behind his head and sat back against the seat.

“Sorry, sorry, just don’t mind me.” I was blushing furiously now, and I wish I’d just burst into flames already and be done with it.

“Aw, c’mon, darlin’,” Jon said, winking at me in the rearview mirror. “I don’t mind at all.” He grinned that million dollar grin at me, and I was dying. Was he actually flirting with me?

“Jesus, man, change the subject already.” I swear I was going to die. Absolutely, completely die.

“Alright,” Jon said, steepling his fingertips and tapping them against his lips. “I have a question.”

I blew out a breath. “Great. Shoot.”

He smiled. “Do you like being on top or on the bottom?”

I choked back a laugh and nearly ran into the car in front of us. “You aren’t going to let this drop, are you?”

“Nope. You’ve got me intrigued now, and I’m having fun flustering you,” Jon said, laughing outright.

“Jesus,” I muttered again. Like I said, it was going to be a long frigging trip to Long Island.

3 comments:

Joviswoman said...

Woohooo new one and it's lookin gooooood!
G x

Anonymous said...

Love the beginning :))))mwemad

Sunstreaked said...

Oh man! Jon in a playful mood? I'm in heaven already!